Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Resolutions and Reflections



This past year has been a bit of a blur...and I'm determined to make this my last blurry year. I've spent my whole life being caught up in doing this, doing that, going here and going there, and I so rarely sit back and reflect on what I'm doing NOW.

Thus, my resolutions this year is to be content. To be at peace with what I have, and what I don't have, what I'm doing, and what I'm not doing, and not to really care what anyone else thinks.

Sounds simple, right?

I wish it were.

I have a feeling this is going to be a toughie, but I'm going to make it happen. I rarely make resolutions, because I cannot stand resolving to lose weight, eat less chocolate, or buy fewer things and have it last only a month, leaving you feeling empty and weak for not being able to stick it out. My last good resolution was many years ago, when I resolved to be nice.

I know, those of you who know me are thinking, but Katy is always so nice. Well, no, I'm not, and I certainly haven't always been like this. Those who've known me a long time (like, very long) know that for a long time, I was not nice. At all. To anyone. I took great pleasure in making people cry, and it came back to me big time, and in big ways. Karma's a bitch, right? So I resolved in, I believe 2000, to be nice. And like a switch, once I'd made that shift in my head, I made it in life also. And I've since had much better luck in life, and been a much happier person. Sure, I'm still snarky, and I can be downright nasty, but by and large, I'm a nice person.

So, I want to be a content person as well. Why? For one, I have nothing to NOT be content about. A great husband, a sweet daughter, a fun dog, a lovely home, clothing, food, internet access: the basics. For another, not being content is costing me, in both money and time. I spend time discontent with that I have, so that I have less to appreciate what I do have. I spend money trying to fill my life with things I think might make me content, but they never do. I spend energy wishing for a larger house, a quieter life, less debt, and none of that is going to change unless I (we) change it. And, I think, the first step to that is being content with what we have.

Resolution 2009: Be Content.

What's your resolution?

4 comments:

AlyssaP said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
AlyssaP said...

(I messed up the last comment, so here goes again):

You are very nice now. :) Whenever I think back over the years of our friendship, I always like to think that I helped you be nicer and you helped me learn to stick up for myself more. I think we are a good balance, no?

Hopefully we can find that balance for ourselves this year. My horoscope (ha!) says that I will find home and work balance in my life in 2009. Let's hope.

In the meantime, I'm thankful as always to have friends like you and your family in my life for yet another adventurous year. May we find our attitude of gratitude in 2009! :)

Lori Huneke said...

i love that pic!~ so cool.
man..im getting more and more bitter in my years...or, less tolerant. depends on how you look at it i guess. =) either way ,its not good.
So, keep putting that positive energy out there!! rock on!!

Lori Huneke said...

The buddhists are big on contentment. I love "the art of happiness" by the dalai lama, and "MOMfulness" is one of my favs. i always go back to it when i need my connection and balance restored.

Related Posts with Thumbnails