Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Granola Bars

Yum. I love granola bars. But I hate reading the ingredients and being totally grossed out. So, I borrowed the Sneaky Chef cookbook from a friend (thanks Mari!) and adapted her granola bar recipe for my own personal gain. And, upon request from many of you, here it is.

2/3 C rolled oats, ground in a food processor
1/2 C almonds, ground in a food processor (if allergic, add another 1/2 C rolled oats)
1/4 C wheat germ (again, could sub oats if wanting gluten free)
1 C crispy brown rice (I couldn't find this, so I subbed ghetto rice krispies)
1 C nonfat dry milk (the most vintage thing one can purchase at the grocery store)
1/2 t Cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1/2 canola oil
2/3 C brown rice syrup (found in the frou frou section of the grocery store)
1 t vanilla extract
Optional add-ins: 1/4 C chocolate chips, raisins, craisins, pumpkin seeds, peanuts, really, just about anything, though I'd suggest just ONE of these, not all at once.

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Line a 9" square baking pan (or similar) completely with parchment (or foil, but you have to butter that).

In a medium bowl, combine oats, almonds, wheat germ, dry milk, cinnamon and salt. Mix in the canola oil, brown rice syrup, vanilla extract and add-ins. Mix well, then pour into the prepared baking pan. Press down with palm of the hand, evenly distributing mixture into the corners of the dish. It should be well pressed into the dish.

Bake for 15-18 minutes. My oven stinks and I had to bake for closer to 25 minutes.

Remove from the oven and let sit for 15 minutes or so, just until it's set up. Using the parchment or foil, lift from the pan. While it's still warm, cut into small bars.

Store in an airtight container for up to a week, or freeze in plastic baggies.

1 comment:

lindsay said...

I think I've gotten brown rice krispies at WF before - regular "ghetto" rice krispies are not GF so I've had to find others. The brand is Erewhon, I believe. :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails